HTML

Friday, May 9, 2014

Ed Tech 501: Reflection of Learning

The last time I was a student was 20 years ago.  In 1994 I graduated with a B.Ed in French Immersion meaning most of my degree was taken in French.  As an anglophone this was quite a challenge so I can’t tell you how refreshing it was to be taking a course in English.  That being said, writing academically was a bit of a challenge for me.  Luckily, my wife is a reference librarian and she patiently proofread my work and lectured me on how to use APA properly.  

I found the course engaging in both content and delivery.  I wasn’t sure how I would like taking a course online but I found it quite enjoyable.  Learning about tech trends was fascinating but the artifact that I’m most satisfied with dealt with the digital divide.  As a social studies teacher, I teach about social injustice quite often.  For me the issue of a digital divide is a social justice issue which is why I think I was so interested in the artifact. I also found doing my own research such as surveying my staff and students for this artifact rewarding.

I truly learnt a great deal about technology during this course but using Google+ may have had the greatest impact on work environment.  I have already convinced my department members that this is the way we should communicate social studies business.  My next mission is to convince my administration that Google+ can be a positive communication tool for the entire school.  I think there is still a place for email (perhaps for official or formal messages) but for most of the daily inquiries that go on in a school among staff members, Google+ is perfect.

I hope the next course I take will be as rewarding as Ed Tech 501 has been.  

No comments:

Post a Comment